Tuesday, June 12, 2007

And then........ The sign off!!!!!!

0630 Hrs
15 Jan 2007
Haldia Port

The new bag that I had bought from Port Said too was full. The suitcase was already full. Infact there were close to 5 Kgs of chocolates packed in them. Everything was packed. After 9 months and 28 days onboard, I was finally signing off. Of course I was very elated at the thought of getting back home. But at the same time a touch dissapointed that I ll be missing out on the Prolonged service allowance by just 3 days. Strange are the matters in life....

Barely 9 months back, some ten fifteen days after joining the ship I was so depressed that I had almost decided to call it quits. I was reprimanded by the chief engineer badly for something that was' nt completely my fault. My spirits had reached an all time low that day and was literally in tears. It was the third engineer who had then consoled me. He later went on to be my best friend on board. But I was literally crossing the days on the calender daily. Waiting just to earn back all that I had invested to get into this field. 'Hardly a matter of 6 months' I used to console myself then.

But things changed rapidly and for good. The chief and the second were true professionals and took my follies as apart of the game. I was given support at all times and I actually started feeling that this is nt such bad after all. I had made friends with the cadets and every evening we used to smuggle Cds out of the library and watch in the recreation room. Time went on smoothly and I didnt realise when the first voyage was almost over. Month endings used to be specially hectic as I had to assist the Chief in preparing the PMS schedules and other monthly paperworks.

Both the chief engineer and the second engineer signed off after my first voyage. I was a bit apprehensive as to how the new Chief and Second would be. To my relief they too turned out to be gems. The second voyage was memorable in the sence that I got to see the Pyramids. This was infact getting better and by now I had no plans of signing off in six months.

The third engineer who had turned out to be my best friend on board signed off after my second voyage. Instead came an additional second engineer. A guy from my own state and with whome I stuck off a perfect rapport from the begining. By now I too had transformed from the nervous fresher I was four months ago to a quite confident engineer. I had already bought a music system and TV in my cabin and during evenings my cabin transformed into a mini officers mess. We specially used the music system to the maximum during the mini parties we usually had in the ship's swimming pool. My music system was always played at full blast on those days.

We started having regular parties on board. I usually used to get a free go which was surprising( I had heard juniors are not allowed to touch beer). Not in my case as there was always enough stock in my cabin. It was amazing how my spirits did a neat 180 degree shift in just a span of few months. From being terribly homesick in the begining I had finally decided to pursue Marine engineering as a career. Now I was sitting dissapointed at not being able to complete 10 months. Dissapointed at having lost the chance to earn a few thousands more, that too when I had already saved on so much tax after getting NRI status for the financial year. It is really strange how man's desires change with situations.

I put the boiler suits (my companions for the past ten months) into the garbage bag. No need to carry them home. The safety shoes too wud have to go.
The door opened and in came the Third officer. A young lad perhaps younger than me. But the deck officers always had the advantage of age over us.
"What Paanch Saab Paking over??"

"Yeah almost. What abt u?" I asked
He and the Radio Officer was also supposed to sign off with me.

"Hmm I m done with it. Captain says we can sign off by 0800 hrs. Will need to see if the galley guys have some arrangement for breakfast before that." he said.

"Well I ve just got to visit the engine room n bid everyone final good bye. Then I ll join u at the Mess" I told him.

"OK fine" He said and left.

I too quickly wrapped up whatever was remaining and left to engine room.

I had done the night watch and the additional second engineer had come down at 0500 hrs to relieve me 1 hr ahead of time so that I cud do my packings. The fourth engineer was also down. It was already 0700 hrs and the crew too started comming. Second engineer too reached the control room. I bid farewell to all and was surprisingly very emotional. The second engineer and additional second engineer insisted on seeing me off.

I quickly went to the officers lounge had a toast and my regular milk cornflakes. The third officer informed me that our papers are all ready and I cud collect them from the Master. I rushed to the Master and collected all my documents. The custom inspection had already been completed the previous day. Luckily I did nt have to shell out any money for the clearance. As I reached my cabin with the documents I saw that the Second engineer and the additional second engineer were waiting for me. I packed my certificates into the hand bag and got ready to leave. Our car had already arrived.

As I reached the poop deck I remembered that the chief engineer had specifically told me to meet him before signing off. I left my luggage there and rushed to his cabin. We shook hands and the chief remarked "Good performance paanch saab. I ve spoken to the office abt you." I was overwhelmed by emotions and quickly took leave from him before my tears could defy me.

Back at the poop deck I cud nt find my luggage. It was already towed to the car by the second and additional second engineer. What more a mini entourage from the engine room had gathered to see me off. Finally after the goodbye and hugs we left the ship and got on to the car. I was rather overwhelmed from the kind of send off I got.

I looked back from the car as we went away from the ship. It was the same bright orange beauty as it was 9 months and 27 days ago. I could see my mates on the deck waving at us as we went farther away. I didnt know whether I d be able to see her again. But deep within the recesses of my mind I had already made a decision. I wud be back, if not on her, then on some other but I d defenitely be back...

I laughed in my mind at the paradox of how just 9 months ago I had hated my decision to join sea. My fourth engineer's remarks floated back to my mind.

"Paanch Saab, once someone drinks water from the tanki ( The Fresh Water Generator), he no longer likes water of the land. He comes back to sea paanch saab. You too wud be back."


Yes he was right, I would defenitely return back from the land to answer the CALL OF THE OCEAN.......................